top of page

What to do if you are in an auto accident:



To help make the claim process go as smoothly as possible and to protect your interest, follow these tips:

(NOTE: the following information is from the Texas Department of Insurance's own guidelines with a few edits by attorney Frank Daniel)

  • Get the other driver’s name, address, phone number, and license plate number. Write down the exact name of the other driver’s insurance company, the company’s phone number, and the policy number. To save time, take a picture of the other driver’s insurance card. If the other driver refuses to tell you the name of his or her insurance company, call the police.

  • Give the other driver the same information about you.

  • Call the police if anyone was injured.

  • Get the officer’s name and badge number so you can follow up if you need to.

  • Get the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of any witnesses to the accident. Independent witnesses can help prove fault if you were in an accident caused by another driver.

  • Call the police if you were hit by a driver who left the scene. Your uninsured motorist coverage (if you have this coverage) may not pay for a hit-and-run accident if you didn’t report it to police.

  • Note the time, date, and exact location of the accident. Also record any special circumstance like weather and road conditions. Take pictures of the accident scene and any injuries to yourself if possible. 

  • If you were employed at the time of the incident or driving a company vehicle, tell your company about the accident as soon as possible. 

  • Report the incident to your insurance company if any of the following:

    1. the property damages are greater than your deductible;

    2. it was your fault;

    3. you were injured;

    4. the other driver left the scene.

  • NOTE: Most companies have deadlines for filing claims and you will likely be asked to give a recorded statement. Your insurance card should have a number you can call to report claims. Always feel free to call attorney Frank Daniel to ask any questions before you give a statement - (832) 353-3786.

  • If you were injured make sure to tell your employer. If you went to the emergency room or to a doctor, you might need to give your employer copies of the medical reports and doctors’ bills.

  • If the insurance company denies or delays in adjusting your claim, CALL FRANK!

  • Always feel free to call attorney Frank Daniel to ask any questions - (832) 353-3786.

bottom of page